Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hip Homestead Applesauce

So, from what I have read, people suggest using specific types of apples to get the best sauce, and often times recipes count on the number of apples.  I didn't prefer either of these suggestions.  I say, use what you have, whatever is available and in abumdance.  And, since I was using home grown apples, they weren't always useable in their entirety.  I figured my recipes in cups of apples rather than a number.  Also, I didn't measure the cinnamon or nutmeg, so the amounts are in "shakes" and approzimate measurements...perhaps you can appreciate this, too!  This recipe represents the best I got after several variations.  In one I added about a 1/4 cup more sugar rather than the honey...too sweet for my taste.  I also tried cloves in one version...not bad, but not my fave.  This exact recipe can be used also for rhubarb sauce, with the same amount of chopped rhubarb replacing the apples, and you can also do a rhubarb/apple version with half rhubarb and half apples.  Just be careful because rhubarb burns easily...so keep stirring!  Enjoy!

The Hip Homestead Applesauce

6 cups chopped, peeled apples
3/4 cup water + 1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar
10 shakes cinnamon (approx. 1/2 tablespoon, I guess)
10 shakes nutmeg (approx. 1/2 tablespoon, perhaps)
2 tablespoons honey

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients.  Cook covered over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until apples are soft and mushy.  You can mash them at this point, or cook 5-10 minutes longer, do not mash, and have a little chunkier sauce (I prefer it that way).  Enjoy alone, over oatmeal, or even over a freshly baked banana chocolate chip muffin!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment